This document provides the system requirements for AppBoard 2.5.
For an enPortal-only deployment, please refer to the enPortal System Requirements page.
1. Server Requirements
1.1. Supported Platforms
The following table lists the operating systems supported by AppBoard, but in general AppBoard is supported on any 64-bit platform that can run Java 7 or later. AppBoard is also supported on virtualized environments such as VMware.
|Oracle/Sun Microsystems||Solaris||8, 9, 10, 11 - SPARC or x86 / x86_64|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux||Linux||5.7+, 6, 7 (or equiv for CentOS, Scientific Linux, Oracle Linux, and Amazon Linux)|
|SUSE Linux Enterprise Server||Linux||10, 11|
|Microsoft||Windows||7, 8, 8.1, Server 2003 / R2, Server 2008 / R2, Server 2012 / R2|
1.2. System Requirements
Typical system requirements for an AppBoard-only deployment are listed in the table below.
In addition, you will find examples of system configurations specific to different deployment scenarios such as Dev or Test Lab / Proof of Concept (POC), Network Operations Center (NOC), or Managed Services Providers (MSPs).
|Example Deployment Scenarios|
|Internal use |
(NOC, SOC, etc)
|External use |
2+ servers in a cluster
|CPU||Single CPU||Single CPU||2+ CPU cores||4-8 CPU cores|
|Memory||4 GB RAM||4 GB RAM||4-8 GB RAM||16-32 GB RAM|
|Storage *||1 GB disk||1 GB disk||2 GB disk||2 GB disk|
|Operating System||32 or 64 bit O/S||32 or 64 bit O/S||64 bit O/S||64 bit O/S|
|Java||Java SE 7 (JRE) installed on AppBoard server (Java SE 8 recommended)|
|Database **||Recommended: use the embedded H2 database (1)
OPTIONAL: external database; see below (2)
|Recommended: use an external, clustered RDBMS (3)|
* AppBoard storage requirements are very low as only configuration information and assets are stored locally. However, ultimately this will depend on the implementation and whether any custom solutions are making use of the local filesystem.
** Regarding database requirements:
- (1) By default, AppBoard (and enPortal) includes an in-memory H2 database for configuration data to maintain the mappings between users, roles and proxied content. For most deployment scenarios - excluding High Availability (HA), clustered architectures - Edge recommends using this embedded H2 database. This will simplify the deployment and lower hardware cost as the H2 database will be installed on the same physical or logical server as the AppBoard application.
- (2) Optionally, if it is desired to use an external database for this configuration data, Edge supports the following databases: SQL Server, Oracle, SQL Anywhere, PostgreSQL, MySQL and DB2.
- (3) For High Availability (HA), clustered architectures, it is required to use an external database on separate hardware to avoid a single point of failure and ideally this database will be installed on an HA database cluster that has a high bandwidth, low latency network connection to the AppBoard servers.
1.2.1. Combined AppBoard & enPortal Deployments
The AppBoard server includes all enPortal components already and it's a matter of licensing that determines whether the enPortal features can be used.
In environments where both AppBoard and enPortal capabilities are being used then the overall system requirements may need to be increased over the example deployment scenarios above. A good starting point would be to increase CPU and Memory by 50%.
1.3. Default Network Ports
|Tomcat Web Server||8080||HTTP||AppBoard/enPortal server via client host|
|Tomcat Shutdown Port||8005||N/A||localhost|
|embedded H2 database||N/A||JDBC / System File||runs in the Tomcat process|
|(optional - if used) external database||Refer to specifications outlined by the vendor of the database of choice.|
2. Client Browser Requirements
|Vendor||Platform||Version(s)||Minimum Screen Resolution||Plug-Ins|
|Microsoft||Internet Explorer||8, 9, 10, 11||1024x768|
3. Mobile Client Requirements
|Vendor||Device||Operating System||Additional Requirements|
|Vendors distributing Android-based devices
(Samsung, HTC, Google, Sony, etc...)
|Various Phones/Tablets||Android 2.3.x, 4.x||Adobe AIR|
|Apple||iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch||iOS 6, iOS 7|